Friday, November 30, 2012

Romancing San Francisco (Chapter #3 (Part two): Karate Test)

Tienes hambre? the mother said to me, and George translated it to Are you hungry?

No, I said, but thanks. George showed me my bed on the porch; --by the looks of things Id have to find another place soon, it had screens and windows all around the porch, but it didnt have any heat ventilationI told myself, first things first.

Do you play chess, George asked, and I assured him I did, but wasnt too good, but felt I could beat a ten year old. Ill play a game as soon as I get settled, ok. He smiled.

It didnt take me much to get settled. The mother showed me where the bathroom was, which amounted to me having to leave the porch area, and walk through a doorway into the kitchen and the bathroom was to the right. I had to use it at that moment, and when I shut the door to take a leak, you could hear every drop, I felt funny, as if the whole house could hear. But the place was temporary, and it only cost $5.00 a week. And I was making $70.

As I left the bathroom and met George, he introduced me to his father, his fathers brother, and four kids, not sure who they belonged to, and another woman about thirty-five; --then George and I went to play a game of chess.

The game lasted about two hours, he beat me. I think he could have beaten me in about twenty-minutes, but it was I who had to do all the thinking, and he sat quietly as I moved my chessmen. I got the feeling he knew I was going to be easy pray. But I was happy I had a place to stay. People are given gifts in life, when you do not appreciate them, it becomes part of your attitude, and life can be quite hard on you. That person who was going to help could be lost in the wind. And so I tried to show as much respect as I could, and appreciation.

As the weeks went by, they had me in a few times for meals, but I didnt eat all that much; --I worked at Lilli Ann Company, and in the meantime, played chess with George, and of course he beat me all the time . At night Id go up to the Castro district and get drunk, usually stopping at least for an hour or so at Sammies.

One time at Lilli Ann, I met Adolph Shuman on more human bases, other than work. He had stopped in the caf up the street; it was a small Chinese place. He brought in his small white dog, I think it was a terrier, a few people by me were complaining, but I paid them no heed. The manager of Lilli Ann, spotted me, and had me come over and meet Mr. Shuman, for some odd reason I was quite scared, but played it down, and he looked at me as if I was not recognizable, but said hello, and I went back about to eat, and the manager said again, sit with us. And so did, and I just kind of froze and tried to eat, but my hands were a bit shaky; or so they seemed. The rest of the group at the table, which was a blond assistant to the manager, a pretty young lady about five foot six inches, --reserved looking always, a calm voice, and a sensitive manner; --then the man ager himself, Mr. Rosenberg, who started talked. I found my head bobbing up and down to smile but I didnt know what to say, so I started thinking about the first small novel I had bought and started to read, about a relationship between two Italian lovers. And then they got up and left, all saying their good-bys, and Adolph waving his hand somewhat, as a goodbye jester to me, since he could not get to saying it directly; although he did mumble something under his breath. I suppose, I thought, power and money can do many things to a personality. He seemed a busy sort of fellow, and tried to show his human side, and/or equality side. But you could see the guarded side of him. And of course, owning a big business, people always try to take advantage of you, not really knowing who's really on your side, and his fooling around with the models at work. I suppose Id be a little restless.

On weekends Id walked down by the Golden Gate Bridge a few times, even across it. At night when I was down there I loved seeing the patched clouds in the evening, looking over the Golden Gate, I loved to watch the sun go down, with its bright yellows fading into its red and gray background. It was like the clouds wanted to hide it, so I couldnt see. I suppose when youre alone a lot you think the sun follows you; one takes things on a more personal level.

Sometimes along the shores out by the Cliff House by Sutro Heights you could hear the sounds of the expiring waves that seemed to sooth my hot blood. I had no complaints, matter of fact, no one back home would believe me if I told them my story, all inclusive, for the most part. To include, meeting and befriending Goesi, and working for a dress designing company for Adolph Shuman. I had not met him on a personal note yet, that but indirectly I did, he was being chased by a beautiful model throughout his dress factory, and she had a giant pearl on her finger I noticed, I guess it was a gift from the millionaire. He told me to hold a door for him so she would not be able to get to him. I did for a moment, and then let the door open again, thinking this was foolish. She was quite tall, but beautiful, with a very healthy looking body. Later on that day my boss Mr. Blair, also showed me his Rolls Royce in the garage next to the building I worked in.

٭

The Karate Test and the Dentist

Another few weeks went by and my teeth were starting to hurt, I had two huge molars in the back, and I needed to do something soon, they seemed to be hurting more everyday; --at work my boss had told me I had a red line going down my neck and it was starting to get infected, I was scared it go to my heart. They told me to take off a week of work, and get taken care of, but really could not afford to, but I did.

Lorenzo at the dojo gave me the phone number of the San Francisco State University Dentistry, I called them and made an appointment. It was a free clinic and the students worked on you. I had to wait until Monday, it was Friday now. I was starting to get a little fever over this also. I was getting a bit restless on my free week off, and doing a lot of resting. I even bought my first novel, it was only 109-pages, but it was interesting. It was about this Italian man who found this woman, and she had breasts that fit perfectly into his palm. I got thinking, she was real thin, or he had big hands. Never read anything like that before. As I waited for the day to come at for the dentist I finished reading the book, took me all of four days.

As Saturday came, I walked up Castro Street to the dojo, it was kind of a big day, and I was a little under the weather, but ok. We had a test today, an endurance test. As I got ready putting on my white karate jacket, I stood bowed to the Master, and did some exercises to get ready for the test. Then Gosei called us all to order, and he an Buck stood at the end of a li ne of which thirteen karate men were standing in line; --some black belts, brown belts, green belts like me, and a few white belts.

Tom the banker was there, he always seemed a bit rigid, his body that is and so I was quite surprised he ever made 3rd degree black belt, but he did, he also kept the books updated somewhat, for the dojo to my understanding, but I could be wrong, it just seemed he was involved in that manner, and from what I heard; and I think some of the degree titles were given out for longevity and for services rendered, other than for outstanding skill, but then do we not do that for the sake of love, and regard to those who have devoted themselves in one way or another to your cause, I have seen it more than once at my young age, it is not the unpardonable sin, if a sin at all; I told myself how many colleges have given out a mess of Ph. Ds because they got a donation here or there, or for that matter, for lesser things done in the name of higher ed ucation. I am not saying he wasnt worth his belt, but his skills never impressed me; --incidentally, he is one of the judges today.

Ok, Tom told everyone, you will fight for three minutes sparing, free style, ---pull your punches from the face, well be able to see if you hit or not, it takes more skill to actually pull your punches than to have physical contact [hit. And you will get a ten-second rest, and when I say next, you will shift to your next opponent.

I started out fairly good; I had to fight another green belt, which I was twice as good as he, and a lot faster. But then I had been a green belt for two years, and normally you are only one for a year. I was hoping to get my Brown Belt after Gogen comes to San Francisco, for the Tournament, we would have to do another test and then wed be able to upgrade our belts.

Next, Tom said. I now had this young Black Belt, that is, he was my age, and we went in circles for a minute, and then our hands and feet went into a fast pace, he was quite impressed with me, I blocked everything he threw at me, and countered his with a good offensive three step attack.

How long you were practicing Karate, he said as I shifted into a Cat Stance, as we settled down for a moment, we usually didnt talk, I smiled, Three years, I said.

I thought so, then he threw a back kick but I caught it, and he was on one foot, but I let it drop and went in for an eye contact with my fingers, I knew it was forbidden but I did, and just touched his eye lids, and pulled my fingers back. I had hands faster than lightening. Id practice daily in front of the mirrors for two hours my fingers poking at eyes; I visualized eyes in the mirrors all the time, --I felt if a man could not see you, he could not fight you, and it was working. Most of my fights were quickly dispersed to a stop once I did that. Touch his eyes and do a back kick, and the man was out, --and if you happen to hit him in the g roin without a cup on, down he went, that happened three times, meaning, I did it to my opponents.

Next, now I was fighting with a wild white belt and just trying to avoid his swinging wildly. I figured if I went in for a sold punch or kick, and missed Id look bad, and he was looking bad enough now, for the most part.

NextnextnextI now was on my last opponent, I could hardly hold up my hands, and my feet under me were becoming noodle like. My reflexes were down, and I just wanted to get it over with, but I needed to keep a good show and so I become extra, or overly defensive, allowing the other person to be more aggressive, --I could block most anything anyone could throw, so I felt safe doing that. Once I went into an offensive action, he could counter me, and Id be off balance, and I was too weak to allow myself to be put into that position.

Ok, STOP! Tom yelled.

Very good, everyone was very good Gosei said, but I knew he was being extra kind. This was no time for decision making, and wed all find out how we did later.

As we all were dismissed I went and sat in the open area where the sofa and counter was, it was kind of a gathering area.

Did you call the University, Lorenzo asked.

Yaw, Monday theyre going to check me out.

I hope so, the red line is at the end of your neck Chick, and youre looking a little more worn than usual. He was right, I was. My fever was getting worse, and most likely this work out might have help it along.

Gosei came by and said hello, and gave me his powerful smile, asking how my new living quarters were. I told him fine, but it was getting a little nippy, and there really was no privacy. But he did more than his share to help me; so I left it alone. I think he just marveled at the fact I would come 2000-miles to learn karate from him, and respected me or that. Plus, I was a green-horn in a big city I was not used to. He was kind of a father figure for me.

٭

That day I asked Goesi if I could free-fight him. He looked at me shocked.

You do not know what you are asking, he said, and gave me that smile, then asked Buck to take a picture of him and I standing in a stance looking solidly at one another as if we were going to fight. Then he gave me the picture. I then turned around and took another picture of him, after asking him how high he could kick. As years would go by, I would hold on to them pictures as if it they were a treasure, and to me they still are. But as Goesi walked away, with that smile again, Buck came to explain to me, and he also was like a big brother, Chick, Goesi meant no disrespect when he said what he said, but what he meant is/or was, you could not block his combinations, or anticipate them; I have a hard time doing it, and Im a 4th degree. I think he does want you to get hurt.

I said:

Thanks Buck, with a little sigh of relief. I never complained, and I th ink that is what Buck and Goesi like about me. On one hand I was simple, and on the other, carelessly too brave for my skills. But I loved them both.

٭

The Nippy Porch

Well, it was Monday morning, I had my alarm clock go off, and when I got out from under the warm blanket, I rushed to get into the bathroom, it was a bit chilly, and damp, but not bad --and then I put my cloths on. The Spanish mother and sister were sitting in the kitchen having coffee, they could see me through the doorway, and it was attached to the kitchen. Actually there were two doors to the porch, one to the kitchen and one to the outside, so I wouldnt have to bother going through the kitchen should I just want to leave unnoticed. I went to the bathroom, smiled at them as I came out, Im sure they heard the water-falls again, I hated that, then quickly went back into my outside den, and put on a light jacket.

I caught one of them big-electric busses called street-cars, I actually liked them. Down on Market Street they were digging underground, it was all torn up, building some kind of transit system. As I sat on the street car, I felt my face, --it was getting puffier than I had notice before, and it was starting to sweat.

Next stop, the campus I got off, and found my way to the dentistry department. They took me right away. The young man who situated me in his medical chair, waited for another man who was working on a client next to me to come over. Then the older man looked me over, pin pointing what had to be done. He recommends that the lower tooth be cracked, so you can get into it to pull out, because it was too large, and the upper one would simply come out straight without cracking it. Both teeth were pushing the rest of my teeth into a crooked state. He told him to be careful, he didnt want the poison in my system to shift, and gave me a shot of something in fear of whatever big words he was using, it meant seriousne ss if it was done wrong, for me that is.

A long time seem to have gone by, and then one by one the two molars came out. When it was all over, the apprentice-doctor told me not to go to work for a week, but it would be wise to rest, and absolutely no karate, or wild activities. He wanted the infection to just goooo away. I thank them both, and left. But I was in route for Sammies bar, I needed a drink, but first I called Lilli Ann, and tried to get a hold of my boss, Mr. Blair, I always liked the way he talked, like he came out of Scotland Yard, in London, but the secretary said he was out to lunch, then I asked for the Manager, Mr. Rosenberg, he was a Jew, like Mr. Shuman, who had help him out with this job a few years back. He was a bit worried these days though, he told me Mr. Shuman sometime ago had put a friends son into college and he was graduating soon, I think in June, and had promised him a managers position, and felt his job was the one he was giving away.

I didnt say anything because Mr. Rosenberg was always quite fare. And he wasnt asking for advise, rather he needed to talk, and someone simply to listen, someone that is that didnt cost $100 an hour like a Psychologist. He was in his early thirties, possible about 33-years old. When it got hot in the departments he would get a wheel barrel and fill it with ice, and sodas and go all over the floors of the building, and across the street to the other one story building, giving them away to all the workers. He was a little odd, but I always felt, who was I to be calling anyone odd, I mean, it has been suggested a few times already in my short life here on earth, I can just imagine when I am older.

See Dennis' web site: http://dennissiluk.tripod.com


Author:: Dennis Siluk
Keywords:: Chapter Stories
Post by History of the Computer | Computer safety tips

No comments:

Post a Comment