Friday, November 23, 2012

Benjamin Franklin 7th in the Look Who's Talking Series

It amuses me that I am often remembered more for my enjoyment of the fairer sex than for my inventions, Writing, and statesmanship. Yes, I did enjoy the ladies and I was often surprised that they, even the very young ones, returned my advances.

I wonder how many people know that I was born in Boston, not Philadelphia. As the youngest of fifteen children, I was quite spoiled by my mother. To bring some discipline into my life, I was apprenticed to my older brother and I learned the trade of a printer.

Not too infrequently I wrote things and slipped them under the door of his office. He, thinking they had been written by someone more erudite than I, printed them. When he learned they were my musing, he was most unpleasant. I discerned it a good idea to leave, and thus I sailed on a schooner to Philadelphia.

Ahh, the city of brotherly love. How I enjoyed the environs, especially after I made the acquaintance of Deborah Reed, whom I eventually married.

In most areas I led a charmed and happy life. I followed my trade as a printer and did quite well. My life was most pleasant. I was a writer, a fair politician, and I invented useful items. Today people refer to the reading glasses I made, as 'Franklin Glasses'. That too amuses me. As you can tell, I have always been a rather jovial person, even more so when I was able to retire at the rather young age of 42.

I suppose that is what afforded me the opportunity to begin my career as a statesman. I started an organization called the Junto Club. Here, some of the learned and interesting men of Philadelphia gathered to discuss the events of the times, and how we could benefit ourselves and others from them. This was the foundation for the Public Library. I suppose one could say I started the library in order for more people to have access to my Writings, but that was not quite my intent.

My little experiment with the kite and key may have seemed like folly to the pe ople of my day, but you know what has become of it. I will admit, it was a bit scary, standing out there in the flashing storm, but so worthwhile. I proved a point, did I not?

I enjoyed several years of experimenting, but I knew the unrest that was occurring in our colonies. The people were not happy with the way they were being treated by the Crown, and in 1754,I wrote a piece determining that it would be wise for the colonies to unite. I expounded on this thesis for a time and finally, in 1757, I was sent to England as an agent to plead the cause of our fledgling country.

It was a most enjoyable five year experience. William, the young lad I had brought back from England and adpted as my son, and I were entertained by most of the socially known and hospitable gentry. While I was considered quite a social gad-about, I was quietly making the feelings of my countrymen known. Unfortunately, those in power were not listening. They paid no heed. Most of them thought the colonists were indolent little muckrakers.

I returned to my home for a short two years. The Stamp Act was most likely the crowning blow, no pun intended. Back I went to merry old England, but again, to no avail. Only a handful of the elite heard what I was telling them over the next ten years. Finally, knowing I could make no changes in what was happening, I sailed home and became one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.

When war broke out, our little bands of men prepared to do battle with the great might of England. I went to France and entreated them to help our cause. They responded quite heartily, I'm happy to say, and my years in that allied country was joyfully spent. Ahh, France, how lively she was and most beautiful. But I must not remain in nostalgia, I am here to share with you my life and times. Some of course are not to be written in detail. Suffice to say, Oh France, how I enjoyed my sojourn there.

I believe my life was one of great delight. I enjoyed the things I did as writer, statesman, inventor, and bon vivant. I was given the opportunity to travel, to meet many great people in different countries, to be a founding father of a great nation, and to tinker with ideas that turned into successful inventions.

I always attempted to live within the dictates of my conscience. to harm no one, to be of usefulness to others, and to enjoy my life. By Jove, I think I did it.

Mary Bradley McCauley is a writer in no particular genre. Her Articles, short stories, essays, poems, travel bits, and 'thinking about' series have been published and well received.

Her metaphysical novel, The House of Annon has been one of her Writing highlights.

After the nomadic life of the military with it's countless moves, and a career in travel taking her to the Bering Sea in Alaska, the Opera House in Sydney, most of the major islands in the Caribbean as well as several trips to Europe, Ms. McCauley r ecently moved from Florida to Franklin TN.

A former Army Brat, Army Wife and Group Tour Travel Advisor, she claims her first love is being with her grandchildren and second is communicating in any way, shape or form.


Author:: Mary McCauley
Keywords:: article submission, Articles, Writers, Writing, Publishing, Ezine, Email marketing, Email newsletter, Email
Post by History of the Computer | Computer safety tips

No comments:

Post a Comment