Sunday, November 11, 2012

Interview for "Beneath the Marble Sky" author John Shors

Reader Views is very excited to be talking with highly acclaimed author John Shors, regarding his recent, award-winning book Beneath a Marble Sky. John is speaking with Juanita Watson, Assistant Editor of Reader Views.

Juanita: Thank you for joining us today John. Please give us a background into the story of Beneath a Marble Sky.

John: Beneath a Marble Sky is a work of Historical Fiction, and is based on the remarkable story behind the creation of the Taj Mahal. Many people know the basic facts of this story--that the emperor of India built the Taj Mahal in memory of his beloved wife. But there is much, much more to the story than that. Beneath a Marble Sky gives life to this story, and it was truly an honor for me to write this novel.

Juanita: What inspired you to write your book?

John: Ive been lucky enough to spend a great deal of time in Asia and have been powerfully influenced by its history, as well as the sights, sounds, smells, and customs found today in that part of the world. For a decade Ive wanted to write a novel set somewhere in Asia but waited to find the right storyor rather to have the right story find me.

In 1999, my wife and I were traveling in India and of course made it a point to visit the Taj Mahal. We arrived at the mausoleum as soon as it opened to the public and were the first people there that day. Walking within its chambers, hearing our voices echo in the same manner as voices did hundreds of years ago, and touching its sculpted walls was an overwhelming experience. Seeing the wonder of the Taj Mahal, and understanding that a man built it for his wifea woman he cherished above all else in lifewas uniquely inspiring. Indian poets have been writing about this love story for centuries. And yet, not many people i n the West know the tale. I realized that I had to tell it. Quite honestly, I was amazed and delighted to discover upon my return to America that no one in the West had ever Fictionalized the story.

Juanita: Who are the main characters in Beneath a Marble Sky, and what motivates them?

John: The narrator of my novel is Jahanara, who was the daughter of the emperor (Shah Jahan) and his favorite wife (Arjumand). By all accounts, Shah Jahan and Arjumand were profoundly in love. Within Beneath a Marble Sky, Jahanara recounts her parents love story, the tragic death of her mother, and her fathers desire to honor Arjumand by creating the Taj Mahal. Shah Jahan and Arjumand also had two sons (Dara and Aurangzeb), and these sons ultimately fought to gain control of the throne of India. Jahanara decided to side with Dara, and a good portion of Beneath a Marble Sky is centered on Jahanaras efforts to help Dara win the civil war that erupted within India.

Juanita: W hat statement/s does Beneath a Marble Sky make towards love, passion, and romance?

John: Well, at the core, Beneath a Marble Sky is a love story, or rather two loves stories. One story centers on Shah Jahan and Arjumands relationship. The other story tells of Jahanaras love affair with the architect of the Taj Mahala brilliant artisan named Isa. Both relationships are quite passionate and romantic. Of course, each set of lovers encounters significant problems, but love definitely triumphs over these obstacles. The core of Beneath a Marble Sky had to be love, because the Taj Mahal was built as a tribute to love, and is arguably the greatest symbol to love in the entire world.

Juanita: What type of research did you do in preparation for writing this Historical account of Hindustan?

John: I spent about a year researching Beneath a Marble Sky. A fair amount of this work revolved around reading religious texts, memoirs, and Historical accounts of 17th-century India. Surprisingly, the written word was not my greatest aid in terms of research material. Instead, hundreds and hundreds of period paintings provided me with a rich sense of the time and place that my novel is set in. Mughal paintings are exquisite and offered glimpses of life within the harem, of how battles unfolded, of how people ate and celebrated and loved. I could not have written Beneath a Marble Sky without such visual aids.

Juanita: You obviously have a great passion for the area you write about. Your details inspire clear visions of what life would have been like back then. Can you tell us about your interest in the area and the Taj Mahal?

John: Well, as I mentioned earlier, I adore Asia. I love its food, people, sights, history, etc. It feels so foreign and alive to me. India was a remarkable place to visit. Its not an easy place to travel within, but it has incredible beauty. The Taj Mahal is a place unlike any other, and it was remarkably i nspiring to me. I felt like I simply had to write this book.

Juanita: What are the underlying theme/s of your book?

John: Id almost rather have the reader answer this question. I think those themes are open to interpretation, and I dont want to influence anyone with my own opinion. I will say that in addition to exploring the nature of love, there is a great deal of conflict in Beneath a Marble Sky. I think that some characters approach this conflict in the right way, and others do not.

Juanita: Who do you feel would enjoy reading Beneath a Marble Sky?

John: Anyone who enjoys learning of a new and wonderful world, and who enjoys a page-turner. My book is somewhat similar to Memoirs of a Geisha. People who liked this novel will like mine.

Juanita: What do you hope your readers take away after reading your book?

John: There are certain themes in my novel that are very relevant to what is unfolding in the world today. I hope that Beneath a Marble Sky gives people an additional perspective on todays world. Many people have told me that this has been the case, and such feedback has been greatly appreciated.

Juanita: Was there any piece of history or experience you had during your research and writing that stood out for you as being very interesting that youd like to share with your readers?

John: Well, I was surprised by my visit to the Taj Mahal with regard to the incredible detail found on the surface of the mausoleum. People always think about the Taj Mahal from a macro level. That is, they envision it from afar and are moved by the image that arises. And while the Taj Mahal is certainly one of the worlds most striking buildings from a distance, it is equally as remarkable up close. Most impressive is that millions of semi-precious stones adorn its walls. Lapis, jade, quartz, amber, emeralds, and onyx are set into the white marble in ways that defy reason. Marvelously detailed arrangements of th ese polished and shaped stones form garlands of flowers; timeless and impossibly exquisite. Such flowers are as beautiful as any that grace a garden, and they have thrived on the Taj Mahal for three-and-a-half centuries.

Juanita: This is your first novel, and it has been a complete success. Please share with your readers the great news of your book being released in paperback, and the Hollywood interest.

John: Penguin Books is releasing a beautiful trade paperback version of Beneath a Marble Sky on June 6th. This is a lot of fun for me, as my novel will be everywhere. People will hear of it, and hopefully want to read it. The movie deal is also fun. Eriq LaSalle (Dr. Benton on ER) read Beneath a Marble Sky and was so inspired that he flew to India for three weeks. Mr. LaSalles production company, Humble Journey Films, bought the movie rights. This production company is currently transforming my novel into a major motion picture.

Juanita: That is remarkab le news John. Your perseverance will serve as inspiration for other writers. What would you say to authors out there struggling with the process, and considering giving up?

John: Everyone knows that breaking into the publishing industry isnt easy. I worked at it for a long time, and was frustrated on more occasions than I care to remember. So unpublished authors simply need to continue working. They need to believe in themselves and in their works. If they have this conviction, and are willing to work very hard, then anything is possible. But it is not an instant process and people need to be patient (easier said than done, I know).

Juanita: Tell us about your writing career up until this point.

John: Breaking into this business is, quite frankly, a tough business. It took me five years to write Beneath a Marble Sky. And once I had it finished, I still had to find an agent and a publisher, and none of these tasks are easy. But, fortunately, a lot of peop le believed in this book. I did as well, and therefore I was able to work and work and work and see this project come full circle.

Juanita: How have your many travel experiences abroad contributed to your writings and in particular, this novel?

John: Ive been lucky enough to spend about five years abroad, and doing so has exposed me to so many different people and different ways of thinking. I think that such experiences were very important as I wrote Beneath a Marble Sky. I was able to give the book authenticity based on my personal experiences in Asia, and in India.

Juanita: How can your readers find out more about you and your book?

John: My website is www.beneathamarblesky.com. People are also welcome to email me at Shors@aol.com.

Juanita: Thank you for talking with us tod ay John. We wish you the all the best as Beneath a Marble Sky continues on this incredibly successful journey. Do you have any final thoughts for us today?

John: Id just like to thank everyone for their support. I truly appreciate it, and am honored by it. And I wish everyone the best of luck with all of their endeavors.

Juanita Watson is the Assistant Editor for Reader Views. http://www.readerviews.com


Author:: Juanita Watson
Keywords:: Fiction, Historical, Taj Mahal, Shors
Post by History of the Computer | Computer safety tips

No comments:

Post a Comment