Friday, September 21, 2012

I'm Young Enough & Old Enough!

I was strolling down the alley one morning in Chicago when I happened upon a paradise.

Kids were on swings, climbing on the rooftops of miniature houses, and making a lot of noise.

I poked my nose through the chain link fence, and asked one of the merry makers:

How old do you have to be to get in here?

How old are you? he shot back with a smart aleck tone.

Im three, I replied, summoning most mature voice.

Well, you have to be four, he taunted, and then scrambled away, intent on frolicking with no more intrusions.

This story means a lot to me, of course, because its utterly true, and it points out that Age limitations are awfully arbitrary, arent they?

I dont know who made that cut off, or if the kid invented it on his own, but barriers like this exist, and Ive nev er liked them.

Throughout school I was considered young for my grade, having been born at the end of October. Actually, this worked to my benefit because I got, what I considered an extra year of Little League.

By the time I was with my twelve year-old peers, I was already a hardened pro, and I actually set national records that year. Having played against tougher competition in my school grades, that final Little League year was gravy.

Still, Age is used far too often to exclude, and thats what the Chicago nursery school episode showed me.

My older sister once tried to comfort me by saying, Gary, youll find in life that youre either too young or too old, and youre never just right.

Sounds a little like that line from Alice In Wonderland, doesnt it? Jam yesterday, and jam tomorrow, b ut no jam today.

Well, I have an answer.

Dont disclose your Age to anybody unless youre under the threat of death.

Whoever is asking is probably up to no good.

Hes probably comparing his accomplishments to yours, or wondering how youve retained your good looks, or he just wants to erect an exclusionary barrier.

When asked, try this reply, just to vex him:

Im young enough, and old enough, which means Im just right.

And then tear down that chain link fence, and go have fun, wherever you like!

Dr. Gary S. Goodman, President of Customersatisfaction.com, is a popular keynote speaker, manAgement consultant, an d seminar leader and the best-selling author of 12 books, including Reach Out & Sell Someone and Monitoring, Measuring & Managing Customer Service, and the audio program, The Law of Large Numbers: How To Make Success Inevitable, published by Nightingale-Conant. He is a frequent guest on radio and television, worldwide. A Ph.D. from USC's Annenberg School, a Loyola lawyer, and an MBA from the Peter F. Drucker School at Claremont Graduate University, Gary offers programs through UCLA Extension and numerous universities, trade associations, and other organizations from Santa Monica to South Africa. He holds the rank of Shodan, 1st Degree Black Belt in Kenpo Karate. He is headquartered in Glendale, California, and he can be reached at (818) 243-7338 or at: gary@customersatisfaction.com.

For information about coaching, consulting, training, books, videos and audios, please go to: http://www.customersatisfaction.com


Author:: Dr. Gary S. Goodman
Keywords:: Age,Age discrimination,Age bias,too old,too young,sales speaker,customer service speaker,call center
Post by History of the Computer | Computer safety tips

No comments:

Post a Comment