Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Romancing San Francisco End Chapters: The Surprise

The Surprise

Many things had happened to me in San Francisco, and now I got a letter in the mail saying I had to either be drafted in/or out of, California, or go back home to Minnesota and be drafted, and so I chose to make my freedom last a while longer by telling the draft board, I was on course for home. Realizing it was July, l969, and Id leave in the middle to last part of August and most likely once home take a few months to go see whomever I had to, or wait for my letter from the draft board. I didnt mind, it wasnt the end of the world, just the end coming to my voyage here in San Francisco, and to be quite fair with the whole deal I told myself it was time. The Manager at Lilli Ann was not told the truth, or for that matter no one but Goesi knew in San Francisco I was being drafted into the Army. Im sure the black belts felt a whole lot more secure after I would leave. As always, Goesi was as gracious as the day is long. A little sad I believe, and di sappointed things did not work out as he thought they would. But then, life does not always work that way; and that he knew.

It was the 25th of July and I was to go home on the last week of August, around the 21st. I walked into Sammies, everyone smiled, took a straight posture, not much different from what I was used to. I hadnt even told the folks at the bar what my plans had entailed.

The old couple came over and sat by me, as I ordered a beer and got a sandwich and come chili.

Chick, said the old man, and his wife by his side, not sure if to look or not.

Yaw, whats up?

He said as a father telling his son:

We all really like you here, and bringing your mother was quite the surprise. We all want to thank you that you would think of us in such a manner.

Oh, but I do, you are my family away from home, that is you and Goesi. He smiled as if he really did not want to go any further with this. I didnt look around to see any fac es, thinking it was something he had on his mind, more or less, you know -personal.

Yaw, is there something else, I asked.

You could say that. Let me explain. You kind of know a few people here, and everyone knows you. Matter of fact, every time you come in, Ted and Joe, kind of signal everyone. I looked a bit bewildered, what was he implying.

Go on, I said with my eyebrows us.

Chick, were all gay here! I couldnt swallow, now I looked around, Everyone?

Yes, everyone.

But what about you and your wife, youre not gay?

Oh yes we are, you might say bi-sexualthough

What is that, I asked.

Chick listen ----that is when people have certain preferences for both sex, but may like the company of their spouse and are willing to share her or him.

Boy of boy, I dont know what to say, but everyone looks

Chick, they look non-active because of you. They like you so much they stop everything, every-time you come; --they p lay a role I suppose one can say, for you. But we got thinking it wasnt right to continue with it.

Oh, yaw, I suppose, I said not knowing what to say. But you know I still like everyone here. I really like you and your wife. You know Id never let anyone hurt you.

Chick, you got to do what you got, and if you want to come to the bar, wed love to have you here, and no one is going to bother you, but if you cant well understand, but we will not be playing anymore games with you.

I got drafted, I got to go home in a few weeks, but you know, maybe if I had a lot of time left I could adjust, but Im sorry I just cant at the moment. II, Im not sure what to say, but I feel embarrassed that everyone had to go out of their way for me, how very kind. Yet I cant come back, you know that.

I figured as much, said Mr. Palace, --then Mrs. Places added but I want to write you, keep in contact for as long as youd like. I know with going in the Army, you might head on to Vietnam, and it would be nice to keep track of you.

I got to leave, I didnt turn around, not sure why, but I was happy. I would receive letters every Christmas for the next five years from the old couple.

A Big Event

It was August 20th, l969, I bought a ticket on a bus to go to Southern California to visit my brother, and he and I were going back to Minnesota, together. And as I got ready, I got thinking about all the things that happened, especially this past year or so. Just a few days ago in some place in New York called Woodstock some 400,000-kids had an anti-war gathering of some kind; they called it a festival of sorts. I never heard of such a gathering before. Ive seen pictures on the T.V. and it was raining and people were smoking and pissing and there were traffic jams, and a lack of food and water.

Some of the groups that were playing there were the Grateful Dead, whom I heard about, but never paid much heed to, and Jimi Hendrix , he fell into the same category, the only one I knew, and thought could sing halfway decent was Janis Joplin, and she looked more like the gals in San Francisco than in New York, but I guess folks said she was from around here.

When I met my brother in Montclair, we took a quick trip down to Mexico, and then headed back to good old St. Paul. It wasnt long before they got me into the Army, October, l969. Mike my brother went out to the induction center in Minneapolis with me. I guess the way I seen things was, I was about to have another adventure, and the Army was just as good as any place matter of fact, free transportation all the way.

Afterward

San Francisco in those days was where it was happening. Where the music seem to seep out of, or from and penetrate the rest of the United States. I was many things in San Francisco, and if it taught me anything it taught me I could become, chase a dream, and by accident, things do happen. By being there, being available, things do happen, just someone liking you for whom you were, could open doors, as long as your door was open. If all I had done was meet Goesi, my main objective would have been achieved, and so everything else was a plus. Oh yes, there were hardships I am not bringing out, but what for, it is not the crust of bread or the topping of a cake we are looking at, notwithstanding, but rather, the nice ending we all want, and it did end up that way. Yes I did go to Vietnam, but that is another story. Incidentally, I was told I was given orders to go to Augsburg, Germany, I wonder how it will be there. If you really want to know, read the book, A Romance in Augsburg.

End to the story and sketches of, Romancing San Francisco

See Dennis' web site: http://dennissiluk.tripod.com


Author:: Dennis Siluk
Keywords:: Chapters
Post by History of the Computer | Computer safety tips

No comments:

Post a Comment