Wednesday, May 22, 2013

What's Going On In Your Life?

In addition to the artistic influences, I am influenced by my current private life, my feelings about it and my energy level and state of health. ~ Frank Auerbach

Without a doubt, artists are influenced by their physical limitations, energy levels, and personal surroundings. After studying art for several years, I came to the conclusion that regardless of wherever artists live, they are influenced by their gender, relationships, interests, moods, intellect, health, biological age, culture, when they were born, peers, spiritual beliefs, pets, knowledge about the arts, and how they understand and relate to their surroundings.

Art is a person's emotional expression, its their signature. Everyone can be an artist if they choose to be one and that is the beauty of being an artist.

For years, I thought a real artist was someone who painted with oils on canvas. But since then, I have learned otherwise. One art professor asked the class, If you are an artist, wil l you please raise your hand? Most of us kept our hands down. Woe! Did the lecture begin! I'll never forget the professors ranting and raving about this. She started off by saying, I didn't ask if you are a good artist―okay, let me restate, 'If you are a bad artist, will you please raise your hand? From Art 101: LESSON LEARNED.

It's not emotionally healthy to compare ourselves and others against each other. If a persons artistic skill level is not where you it should be, keep trying. Try to stay focused and dont compare yourself to the masters! As we actively pursue any of our interests, we get better with practice. Don't forget too, take a look at what is going on in your life. You need to choose your *medium* to match your financial, physical, emotional, and mental limitations. Speaking as an artist, Im not always in the mood to engage in artistic endeavors.

Granted, its rare, but if I try to work on a project that is too strenuous for how Im feeling, th e project will suffer. As a rule, as I reflect back on what Ive done, I look at the other aspects of my life too. Since all of my artistic expressions came from within, I know this means that outside influences had everything to do with my work too. What this means is that artists are going to experience ups and downs in their artistic expressions. (Revised 2/17/2006)

Debbie Jensen, Graphic Designer and Photographer http://www.debjensendesigns.com


Author:: Debbie Jensen
Keywords:: define artists, what influences art, artistic expressions, Frank Aurbach, debbie jensen, Article,
Post by History of the Computer | Computer safety tips

No comments:

Post a Comment