Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Creative Journey The Creative Process

When people ask me how to Paint, I always tell them that it is as important to know when not to work on a Painting, as it is to know when to actually Paint. For me, Painting is as much about listening as it is about doing. I spend a great deal of time listening to my Paintings, so that when I do Paint, I can Paint with deliberation, because I know what the Paintings are saying. To most people, it looks like I am doing nothing. It takes a great deal of confidence to hold the secret, not to say anything, to know that in reality, a great deal is going on inside.

I have a lot of people who want to come and study with me. I always say, yes, but warn them that almost nobody lasts. I tell them that there is no one to hold their hand, no one to tell them what to do, no one to tell them what to Paint or when to Paint and no one to Paint with, and it is up to them to find a suitable place in which to Createfor this is what it is like to be a professional Artist. Art is not for the faint of heArt.

I once heard a scientist describe her creative process. She Painted a wonderful picture of the cycles of the seasons. She said it stArted with Spring, the blooming of an idea, then the long work of Summer, the harvesting of Fall and the long dormancy of Winter, for which there can be no Spring, no new ideas. I have never heard a better description of what the creative process is like.

Those ah ha moments, the germination of an idea for a Painting is one of the most exciting times in the process. In the beginning I plan a whole series of Paint ings, usually seven to eleven, and then work on them as a group. This is the Spring of the creative process-seeing ten Paintings beginning to blossom on my studio walls.

The long work of Summer, that the time of actually physically putting Paint to paper or canvas, can be the really hard pArt. Creativity is not a straight and paved thoroughfare for me. Rather, it is a circuitous path which I explore with deliberation, hope and expectation. At the end of the day, that small step along the journey, I often have no idea whether what was Created is effective or not. The next morning I am usually relieved to see that not only a great deal was accomplished, but also that it was a successful step along the way.

Finishing the piece of Art work, the Fall, is rewarding, short and infinitely enjoyable. I know when a Painting is done when I sign my name. All seven to eleven Paintings usually get done within the same time frame. The letting go of the Paintings is when I photograph them. After that, they are for anyone to purchase

Then there is the long dormant winter, when there are no ide as, and it takes pure faith that somewhere inside one's personal soul is the ability to Create once again. Because then there is, not only the blank canvas, but also the blank studio wall as well, to be filled again with Paintings. It takes great deal of courage to believe that there really will be a Spring again of ah ha moments, that there will be a studio full of new Paintings and that the creative journey really will happen all over again.

Mary Baker 2005

Mary Baker is a professional Artist, whose studio is in Newburyport, Massachusetts. The Artist is known for her crisp realistic oil Paintings. Mary Baker is a professional Painter and has shown in New York City Art galleries. Marys Art work has passion, depth and beauty, capturing moments in time that many people pass by.

You can visit Marys website, Mary Baker Art, at http://www.marybakerArt.com , see her Paintings and read her comments on the creative journey, the creative process, Tips on breaking the creative block and creative spacethe illuminating silence. A list of all Articles can be found on Mary Bakers Site Map at http://www.marybakerArt.com/sitemap.html


Author:: Mary Baker
Keywords:: creative journey, creative process, Creativity, Create, Art, Artist, Artists, Painting, Paint
Post by History of the Computer | Computer safety tips

No comments:

Post a Comment